Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT Wireless Bluetooth Headphone
The ATH-M50xBT is an updated wireless version of the ATH-M50x that is versatile enough to be used as both a portable wireless headphone for music enjoyment as well as a wired studio monitor for critical low latency professional use
- Australian Stock
- Australian Warranty
- Authorised Reseller
Found it cheaper somewhere else? Request a price match.
Don't risk purchasing a fake
MiniDisc are Authorised Resellers
Not happy? Return it within
Return it within 21 days for a refund*
Next day shipping available
Unmatched advice and support
Always happy to help
The ATH-M50xBT is the updated wireless version of the popular ATH-M50x, and serves as both a wireless headphone for music enjoyment as well as a wired headphone for studio monitoring. The M50xBT is physically very similar to the M50x, with the same rugged and durable build, but it now sports a slightly more matte finish to the black plastic. New additions to the headphone are a power button, micro-USB charging port, as well as physical volume and music controls on the headphone itself. There is also touch gesture support on the left earcup, which activates Siri and Google assistant. The ATH-m50X also supports Audio Technica’s new “Connect” app which provides assistance and allows the user to configure various settings on the headphone.
Audio Technica has integrated a modern Bluetooth 5.0 receiver that supports SBC, AAC and AptX protocols. In our testing we’ve found the wireless connection is stable and performs well. The M50xBT can also be used in passive wired mode, and the headphone comes with just one 1.2m straight cable with a one button remote that works even if the headphone is turned off.
In our testing, we’ve found that the M50xBT actually sounds slightly improved over the original ATH-M50x, and very importantly, it sounds the same whether you use the wired or wireless connection. The bass has now been slightly reduced by around 3db, which helps the M50x sound less congested in bassy passages. The treble has been slightly tamed, but it still has the M50x’s original detailed, but slightly metallic character that can pick up sibilants on aggressive tracks. The changes are subtle, but we think they are an improvement and make the M50x sound more balanced and perhaps more accurate as a critical reference monitor, while still preserving the M50x’s dynamic V-shaped emphasis on bass and treble.
The M50xBT still inhereits many of the M50x’s weaknesses: the soundstage is still quite compressed, without a great deal of air or space to the sound. Music tends to sound in your face as a result. Just like the M50x, the M50xBT has a high clamping force and shallow earpads. This means impressive passive noise isolation, but it also means that the M50xBT is less comfortable than your average portable headphone.
We think the updates to the M50xBT make one of the better sounding wireless headphones at this price point. Because Audio Technica did not use active electronics to achieve this new sound, the M50xBT is versatile enough to be used both as a portable wireless headphone for music listening as well as a wired headphone for critical latency free monitoring.
In terms of alternatives, the Audio Technica ATH-DSR7 offers a cleaner and more balanced version of the M50xBT sound with a more comfortable wireless fit, but does not feature a passive wired mode. For a similarly priced alternative wireless headphone that features active noise cancellation, have a look at the Sony hear.on 2 WH-H900.
- Wireless, on-the-go design delivers the same critically acclaimed sonic performance as the original ATH-M50x professional studio headphones
- Touch control provides convenient access to voice assist
- Mic and button controls built into the earcup allow for easy handling of calls, music playback and volume adjustment
- Proprietary 45 mm large-aperture drivers deliver exceptional clarity throughout an extended frequency range, with deep, accurate bass response
- Over-ear design for excellent sound isolation in loud environments
- Professional-grade earpad and headband material for long-lasting durability and comfort
- Up to 40 hours of continuous use on a full charge
- Compatible with aptX and AAC codecs
- 1.0' (30 cm) USB charging cable
- Detachable 3.9' (1.2 m) cable with 3.5 mm (1/8") gold-plated stereo mini-plug (L-shaped)
- Protective pouch
- Type :Closed-back dynamic
- Driver Diameter: 45 mm
- Magnet: Rare earth
- Voice Coil: CCAW (Copper-clad aluminum wire)
- Frequency Response: 15 - 28,000 Hz
- Sensitivity: 99 dB/mW
- Impedance: 38 ohms
- Battery: DC3.7 V lithium polymer battery
- Battery Life: Approx. 40 hours continuous use
- Charging Time: Approx. 7 hours (for 0-100% charge) depending on environmental conditions
- Weight: 310 g (10.9 oz), without cable and connector
- Bluetooth Version: 5.0
- Maximum Range: Line of sight - approx. 10 m (33')
- Compatible Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP
- Supported Codecs: Qualcomm® aptX, AAC, SBC